[ros-users] 'rviz' received an X Window System error

Stefan Kohlbrecher stefan.kohlbrecher at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 22 07:27:59 UTC 2011

Hi Hitesh,

I guess for that one of the developers has to weight in, I have only
very vague ideas of the internals of rviz and the issues regarding
Ogre3d and non-nvidia graphics drivers.
AFAIK the current recommendation is basically to use Nvidia GPUs with
Ogre3D based visualization (rviz, gazebo). Slowness and instability
with Intel or AMD/ATI cards is known, but not easy to fix. At least
that's what I gather about the current state of affairs, someone will
correct me if I'm grossly wrong :)

regards,
Stefan