[ros-users] PointCloud vs PointCloud2 in laser_filters

Jeremy Leibs leibs at willowgarage.com
Tue Feb 22 19:30:36 UTC 2011

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 2:54 AM, Roman Divacky <roman_divacky at tempest.sk> wrote:
> hi,
>
> I am trying to use laser_filters (scan_to_cloud_filter_chain to be
> precise) but I noticed
> that it's producing PointCloud messages while rest of the ROS seems to
> be using PointCloud2.
> is there a plan to convert laser_filters to PointCLoud2 too? or am I
> supposed to use some
> other method of conversion?

Yes, this conversion is happening gradually.  We just introduced
PointCloud2 support to the laser_geometry tool in laser_pipeline.
This was a fairly last-minute addition and didn't leave enough time to
update the laser_filters pipelines as well.  My guess is more of the
toolchain will continue to move in the PointCloud2 direction in the
next release.