[ros-users] [PCL-users] Minimizing compiler memory, package pcl_ros

Radu Bogdan Rusu rusu at willowgarage.com
Thu Feb 24 17:26:41 UTC 2011

Tom,

On 02/24/2011 05:33 AM, Jochen Sprickerhof wrote:
> * futureignobel<futureignobel at gmail.com>  [2011-02-24 14:22]:
>> does anybody know, how to minimize the memory needed for gcc/g++ to
>> compile a particular package? I'm trying to compile the pcl_ros package
>> on a BeagleBoard-xM, but the compiler crashes each time because the
>> cc1plus process is being killed due to low memory (BB-xM has 500MB of
>> RAM). I've read a lot about this already, but found no solution. I've
>> already been able to compile openni and flann (which also caused errors).
>
> why don't you cross compile it on your workstation?

Jochen's solution is definitely the _right way_ to do this, imho.

PCL is a templated library and it might take up to 500MB / GCC translation unit to compile in release + optimizations
mode. This is unavoidable at the moment. In general, development workstations should be different than the ones you want
to deploy your code on.

PCL_ROS is using a variety of hardcore ROS concepts and PCL, and is super heavy on compile time at the moment. We've
identified a few critical parts of ROS that we will be working on improving with respect to this issue, but that might
take some time (https://code.ros.org/trac/ros/ticket/3362 for example).

We're going to start a discussion about PCL2.x and ways of improving compile time performance soon. Hopefully you can
join us! :)

PS. As usual, pcl-users at code.ros.org is the right forum for PCL related questions. Thanks!

Cheers,
Radu.