[ros-users] how to spawn an object in gazebo

Ali Abbas malikaliabbas at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 13:52:57 UTC 2011

Hello All,

I am using karmic. Also I am a student. I have made an object using urdf and
succeeded to spawn it in RViz. Now I want to spawn this object in gazebo
using that urdf file by executing the following command.

'rosrun gazebo spawn_model -file `pwd`/object.urdf -urdf -z 1 -model
my_object'

but unable to view it in gazebo.

Moreover I just want to know about the following few lines in 'urdf' file. I
have not written these lines in my 'urdf' file.

<gazebo reference="my_box">
    <material>Gazebo/Blue</material>
</gazebo>

'my_box' is just a link. what should be the procedure to spawn an object
with multiple links.

Thanks in advance,

Regrds,
Ali Abbas