[ros-users] Request for Clue: OSX-specific linker flags, dependency resolution

Nicholas Butko nbutko at ucsd.edu
Fri Jan 14 17:06:53 UTC 2011

Brian, I had a question about this.

In CMake, I typically call "find_library" before calling
"target_link_library". I was wondering if there's a reason that you don't.

On the ROS OSX install site, it asks the user to add these environment
variables to .profile:

export CPATH=/opt/local/include
export LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/local/lib

They are very important to add for ROS, but they sometimes seem to interfere
with the installation of other packages. For example, I was getting some
strange interference between installing OpenCV from SVN, and the macports
version of libjpeg. More importantly, they do not seem helpful for my
non-ros CMake projects.

I am wondering now if the reason ROS requires special environment variables
is that "find_library" is not being called.

Do you have any thoughts on this?

--Nick