[ros-users] Sicklms scan missed

Eric Perko wisesage5001 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 19:21:02 UTC 2011

Laura,

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 12:44 PM, laura galindez <laurago894 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello ROS users:
>
> I am using the sicktoolbox_wrapper to interface with the SICKlms200 lidar.
> When I run the node, the terminal indicates that the data stream has started
> but seconds later the following warning message is displayed over and over
> again:
>
> *A scan was probably missed. The last scan was 0.10704 seconds ago.
> sicklms*
>
> In spite of this, I can still successfully see the readings of the lidar in
> rviz. The only trouble I have is that gmapping isn't working properly, I
> don't know if this warning from the sicklms node has something to do.

See https://code.ros.org/trac/ros-pkg/ticket/4673 for a ticket about that
warning. How is your SICK connected to the computer? RS232 or RS422? With or
without a USB->Serial adapter? At what rate should you be getting scans from
the LIDAR as currently configured? 10Hz?

Is the SICK driver set to less than one degree of angular resolution? I only
see this warning with my LMS291's when they are set to 0.5 degree angle
increments. With 1 degree increments the warning is not output.

> I have already verifed that slam_gmapping is making the transform between
> /odom and /map. And I have a configuration for the transforms
> /odom->base_link->laser
>
> The message displayed by gmapping is the following:
> *
> ros Dropped 100.00% of messages so far. Please turn the
> [ros.gmapping.message_notifier] rosconsole logger to DEBUG for more
> information.*

You can use rxconsole (http://www.ros.org/wiki/rxconsole) to enable this
debugging output by changing the logging level of the above named logger.
Without actual error messages, it's not clear if this is related to the SICK
timing warning or not.

- Eric