[ros-users] Localization from a camera (or two)?

Elena Oleynikova eoleynikova at willowgarage.com
Sun Jul 10 21:46:46 UTC 2011

Hi Max and Nathaniel,
In answer to the vslam question, no, it's not the same type as
slam_gmapping. slam_gmapping creates a 2D map, which you can then use amcl
and other 2D-based localization techniques on. vslam creates a 3D pointcloud
of the environment, and at the moment AFAIK, there is no good way to save
the pointcloud and then localize within it at a later time, as is possible
with the gmapping maps and amcl. There is a method for place recognition
within vslam_system that might be worth checking out if you want to continue
down this route.

An easier solution would be to do what turtlebot does for navigation: take
pointclouds from either the kinect or a stereo pair, convert them into a
laser scan, and use them with existing slam_gmapping and amcl applications.
Check out the pointcloud_to_laserscan package (
http://www.ros.org/wiki/pointcloud_to_laserscan ) and the
turtlebot_navigation package (
http://www.ros.org/wiki/turtlebot_navigation) to see how this is
implemented on the turtlebot. Though the implementation
is for a kinect, you should be able to do the same thing with a pointcloud
from a stereo pair.

Hope that was helpful,
Helen