[ros-users] call for an official ROS USB camera package

Bill Morris morris at ee.ccny.cuny.edu
Mon Jun 6 21:26:37 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-06-03 at 20:33 -0500, Jack O'Quin wrote:
> Not being a USB camera user, myself, I am not sure what the status of
> the various driver packages are.
>
> Is there one particular version most people use?

I have been using a customized version of usb_cam
http://www.ros.org/wiki/usb_cam but I think Ken's uvc_camera is a bit
further along. http://www.ros.org/wiki/uvc_camera

There may be a license issue with the GPL vs BSD.

> > I would like to see a system for storing camera calibrations based on
> The camera_info_manager URL supports any naming scheme desired.

I would like to propose that cameras that can not store calibrations in
memory store the calibrations in $ROS_HOME/calibration/driver-id.cal

For a USB camera the id could be constructed from the VID/PID/Serial
number to create a mostly unique identifier.

  idVendor           0x046d Logitech, Inc.
  idProduct          0x0821
  iSerial                 1

~/.ros/calibration/usb_camera-046d08210001.cal