[ros-users] Rviz ros base settings

Marcus Liebhardt marcus.liebhardt at pal-robotics.com
Mon Jun 20 09:32:29 UTC 2011

Hi!

An easy way would be to use tf's static_transform_publisher. Based on the
other email of yours I assume you are using your point cloud generating
device (Kinect?) mounted on your robot?
So, you could set up a relation between that device and your robot by:
"rosrun tf static_transform_publisher 0 0 0 0 0 0 /camera_mount /camera 10"
(in the terminal)
This publishes a transform from the frame /camera_mount, which can be any of
your robot's published frames, to the camera (at 100hz (10ms)).
*But* you will only see the point cloud being updated, when choosing /camera
as fixed frame in rviz. So, you will see both the point cloud and the robot
model, but from the viewpoint of /camera.
I think, I better implementation would be adding a camera_joint to your
robot's urdf description as described here:
http://answers.ros.org/question/106/how-to-add-kinect-sensor-input-to-a-urdf-model
But I never have done that. Maybe someone else can provide more help!

Good luck!

Regards,
Marcus Liebhardt