[ros-users] RViz on OS X

Ken Conley kwc at willowgarage.com
Wed Jun 22 04:06:31 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 8:53 PM, William Woodall <wjwwood at gmail.com> wrote:
> I made one, but I think on the ros.org wiki might be better in the end, also
> most of the patches are already in tickets and in the upstream svn for ros.

This is great work and thanks for taking the time to also document +
send nice, concise patches.  I'm looking forward to better support in
Electric for OS X.

Part of the challenge with OS X has been Macports, which has been a
moving target (as has the 32-bit -> 64-bit nastiness).  Our OS X
install was originally spec'd back in 10.4 days where the underlying
platform was quite different.  I'd be interested in hearing ideas of
how to revamp this (including cutting the Macports cord).  I made an
initial investigation into moving the Python libraries off of Macports
and use the builtin Python interpreter, but got hung up on some
integration issues.  With some upcoming changes to rosdep those issues
should be easier to solve.

cheers,
Ken