[ros-users] RViz on OS X

Serge Stinckwich serge.stinckwich at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 10:41:35 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 11:06 AM, Ken Conley <kwc at willowgarage.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 8:53 PM, William Woodall <wjwwood at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I made one, but I think on the ros.org wiki might be better in the end, also
>> most of the patches are already in tickets and in the upstream svn for ros.
>
> This is great work and thanks for taking the time to also document +
> send nice, concise patches.  I'm looking forward to better support in
> Electric for OS X.

What is the appropriate way to apply patches for the ROS/OSX:
- clone ROS repositories that need pathches and use them instead on
the trunk one,
- apply patches on ros repository and use unstable repository for OSX ?

> Part of the challenge with OS X has been Macports, which has been a
> moving target (as has the 32-bit -> 64-bit nastiness).  Our OS X
> install was originally spec'd back in 10.4 days where the underlying
> platform was quite different.  I'd be interested in hearing ideas of
> how to revamp this (including cutting the Macports cord).  I made an
> initial investigation into moving the Python libraries off of Macports
> and use the builtin Python interpreter, but got hung up on some
> integration issues.  With some upcoming changes to rosdep those issues
> should be easier to solve.

Yes macports is a moving target ...

Not really good if you want to have some procedure that could be
repeatable without building
problems from time to time.

Maybe some others OS X packaging system could be considered: pkgsrc,
Fink, Homebrew, ...

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich