[ros-users] RViz on OS X

William Woodall wjwwood at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 03:47:52 UTC 2011

I can definitely empathize with you about the Macports and 32-bit/64-bit
issues.  In fact, most of the stuff in the wiki is about making ROS and
Macports play nice, which currently means universal variants and building
ROS completely 32-bit.  My friend John got RViz working with the built-in wx
and python that come from Apple, but I want to say there were some issues.

I would like to cut the Macports cord, but there are many, many dependencies
that must be fulfilled at the moment.  I would love to see something similar
to fink be successful again, it never made sense to me why binary
distribution wouldn't work great on OS X.  I think another way ROS could be
much more OS X compatible would be to move away from wx (Carbon dependency
drives many 32-bit issues). I know that moving to Qt was discussed at some
point, and I really think that would be a worth wild move, because I have
been very impressed with the Qt framework's portability and consistency,
though I recognize the amount of effort involved in such a move.

I am interested to see if the changes in rosbuild2 and rosdep will ease
these concerns as well.

--

William Woodall
w at auburn.edu