[ros-users] Progress in rviz on OSX

Paul Vernaza paul.vernaza at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 02:14:43 UTC 2011

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 9:05 PM, Nicholas Butko <nbutko at ucsd.edu> wrote:
> I didn't notice it before, but yes, I am getting this exact same warning.
> Both libraries seem to be required, in the rviz will crash with
> shared-library-not-loaded type errors if either one is removed.
> There is also a message about reading general/display configuration from
> ~/.rviz, which is a folder that doesn't exist. Presumably in this event it
> gets created after first launch? In which case, it crashes before it gets
> created.

So, this is probably not as important as I suspected.  After digging
around, it looks like the problem is that Ogre assumes you are going
to render into a Mac-native window, and not a X window.  The solution
would therefore be to get Ogre to use the GLX render system as opposed
to the OSX render system.  Unfortunately, it doesn't look like this is
a supported configuration on the Mac, but it's probably not that
difficult to do...  I've been hacking around with this, but if I find
it's too much trouble, I may just give up and leave it to the pros for
now :).

Paul