[ros-users] Pyyaml using easy_install on Mac OS X

Paul Vernaza paul.vernaza at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 00:41:56 UTC 2011

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 6:42 PM, S.Sudarshan <sudarshan85 at gmail.com> wrote:
> However, as the next step in the ROS install, I ran this command as
> described in the
> website" http://packages.ros.org/cgi-bin/gen_rosinstall.py?rosdistro=diamondback&variant=ros-full&overlay=no"]
> and I got the following error:
>>
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "/usr/local/bin/rosinstall", line 5, in <module>
>>     pkg_resources.run_script('rosinstall==0.5.16', 'rosinstall')
>>   File
>> "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/Extras/lib/python/pkg_resources.py",
>> line 442, in run_script
>>     self.require(requires)[0].run_script(script_name, ns)
>>   File
>> "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/Extras/lib/python/pkg_resources.py",
>> line 1167, in run_script
>>     exec script_code in namespace, namespace
>>   File "/usr/local/bin/rosinstall", line 23, in <module>
>>
>> ImportError: No module named yaml

These problems are usually related to confusion between the version of
python that ships with Mac OS and the one that is installed by
Macports.  For example, you might be installing yaml for one, and
running the other, which subsequently can't find it.  So, I would
double-check to make sure you're installing yaml in the Macports
version of python 2.6 and running the same version. Try "sudo
python_select python26" if you haven't already, and try re-running
easy_install.  Also, /opt/local/bin should appear in your path before
/usr/bin.  Make sure you get /opt/local/bin/python when you run 'which
python' at a terminal.

Paul