[ros-users] Trouble connecting to SICK LMS 291 with sicktoolbox_wrapper

Eric Perko wisesage5001 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 02:52:04 UTC 2011

Ryan,

Are you running on a Pioneer (or other platform using either the SICK Laser
Integration Board [1] or something like it that powers on the LIDAR only
when a serial connection is attempted)?

As far as this being a known bug, we've seen a number of people in the past
have issues with the Sicktoolbox wrapper on systems where the LIDAR doesn't
boot until a connection is opened, as the Sicktoolbox seems to be a bit...
finicky... about this situation. If you'd like to see this problem fixed, I
suggest you open a ticket (if there isn't one that already covers this
problem) on the ros-pkg Trac against laser_drivers. That's the best way to
make sure that this problem doesn't get forgotten about. However, I think we
need a better solution than just always waiting for 30 seconds when the
driver boots up (as Aravindhan's fix does), since people with always-on
SICKs (my use case) shouldn't need to wait for the SICK to power up if it's
already activated.

If you do open a ticket, we can continue any further discussion regarding
implementation there.

- Eric

[1] http://robots.mobilerobots.com/wiki/SICK_Laser_Integration_Board