[ros-users] Trouble connecting to SICK LMS 291 with sicktoolbox_wrapper

Ryan Miller rmiller4589 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 21:57:36 UTC 2011

Hello,

I am having trouble connecting to a SICK LMS 291. I did not have trouble
connecting to the device in cturtle, but I recently upgraded to diamondback
and am now having difficulties. It appears Aravindhan Krishnan found a
solution to this problem, and posted it on ROS answers [0]. However, I would
like to avoid using unstable packages. Is there a way to only install the
sicklms source without getting loads of other unstable dependencies?

Also, is this a known bug? I could not find anything in the tracker, and if
Krishnan is right about this, it appears to be a serious problem. I have
pasted the output of `rosrun sicktoolbox_wrapper sicklms.` Please let me
know if there is a better solution than hacking the sicklms source.

I set the baud rate to 38400 and the port to /dev/ttyS0. I know I am using
the correct serial port because when I remove the cable it hangs forever.
The permissions are also set correctly.