[ros-users] Skeletons

Patrick Goebel patrick at pirobot.org
Mon Mar 28 03:29:42 UTC 2011

Hi Marcus,

I haven't thought through use cases very much but one application would
be creating a library of human gestures and poses that the robot can
learn to recognize.  The only reason I created a Skeleton message type
for my pi_tracker package is that I wanted to have access to the joint
confidence values.  Otherwise, I think the standard ROS tf/tfMessage
type comes close.

In the meantime, and just for fun, I have created a skeleton_markers
package at:

http://www.ros.org/wiki/skeleton_markers

This allows the visualization of the tracked joints in RViz.  There are
two ways to run the package--two different Python scripts: one is used
with pi_tracker and subscribes to the skeleton message topic.  The other
uses just the transforms published by the openni_tracker package.  See
the Wiki page for details.  Here is a short video of the result:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTRi_kIgGW0

--patrick