[ros-users] Installation problems on Fedora

Anders Nilsson andersn at control.lth.se
Wed May 11 11:03:45 UTC 2011

Hi,

I'm trying to install the ROS/Orocos toolchain on a machine running Fedora 15
but I cannot succeed in doing so.

1. Following instructions on http://www.ros.org/wiki/orocos_toolchain_ros As I
cannot use the prebuilt deb I go for the manual checkout/build track which
works fine until I arrive at the step saying

rosmake orocos_toolchain_ros

which fails since I don't have any rosmake command. No candidate can be found
in the previously checked out code.
I'm either a sloppy reader (quite possible), or the instructions miss some
prerequisites?

2. OK, I don't have rosmake so maybe I can install ROS and get it then?
I find my way to http://www.ros.org/wiki/diamondback/Installation/Fedora and
start following instructions on that page. During rosinstall ~/ros .... the
build crashes due to a link error:

 Linking CXX executable ../bin/rosplay
  /usr/bin/ld: CMakeFiles/rosplay.dir/src/rosplay/rosplay.o: undefined
reference to symbol 'boost::filesystem3::path::extension() const'
  /usr/bin/ld: note: 'boost::filesystem3::path::extension() const' is defined in
DSO /usr/lib/libboost_filesystem-mt.so.1.46.0 so try adding it to the linker
command line
  /usr/lib/libboost_filesystem-mt.so.1.46.0: could not read symbols: Invalid
operation
  collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

see attached ros_build_fedora15.log for some more output.

3. I know, Fedora 15 is still in beta. Let's try some older, stable, version
instead. Let's try to install on Fedora 13. First, try to build ROS according
to bullet 2 above so that we get the rosmake command needed in bullet 1.

On fedora 13 rosinstall do build without errors, so we can then follow
instructions according to bullet 1 above. Everything works fine until the
rosmake step:

$ rosmake orocos_toolchain_ros
[ rosmake ] Packages requested are: ['orocos_toolchain_ros']
[ rosmake ] Logging to
directory/home/andersn/.ros/rosmake/rosmake_output-20110511-125311
[ rosmake ] Expanded args ['orocos_toolchain_ros'] to:
[]
[ rosmake ] WARNING: The following args could not be parsed as stacks or
packages: ['orocos_toolchain_ros']
[ rosmake ] ERROR: No arguments could be parsed into valid package or stack
names.

And there I'm stuck.

regards,
Anders Nilsson

--
Anders Nilsson, Ph.D. <andersn at control.lth.se>
Dep. of Automatic Control, Lund University