[ros-users] Installation problems on Fedora

Peter Soetens peter at thesourceworks.com
Wed May 11 15:06:27 UTC 2011

On Wednesday 11 May 2011 13:03:45 Anders Nilsson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to install the ROS/Orocos toolchain on a machine running Fedora
> 15 but I cannot succeed in doing so.
>
> 1. Following instructions on http://www.ros.org/wiki/orocos_toolchain_ros
> As I cannot use the prebuilt deb I go for the manual checkout/build track
> which works fine until I arrive at the step saying
>
> rosmake orocos_toolchain_ros
>
> which fails since I don't have any rosmake command. No candidate can be
> found in the previously checked out code.
> I'm either a sloppy reader (quite possible), or the instructions miss some
> prerequisites?
>
> 2. OK, I don't have rosmake so maybe I can install ROS and get it then?
> I find my way to http://www.ros.org/wiki/diamondback/Installation/Fedora
> and start following instructions on that page. During rosinstall ~/ros
> .... the build crashes due to a link error:
>
>  Linking CXX executable ../bin/rosplay
>   /usr/bin/ld: CMakeFiles/rosplay.dir/src/rosplay/rosplay.o: undefined
> reference to symbol 'boost::filesystem3::path::extension() const'
>   /usr/bin/ld: note: 'boost::filesystem3::path::extension() const' is
> defined in DSO /usr/lib/libboost_filesystem-mt.so.1.46.0 so try adding it
> to the linker command line
>   /usr/lib/libboost_filesystem-mt.so.1.46.0: could not read symbols:
> Invalid operation
>   collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> see attached ros_build_fedora15.log for some more output.
>
> 3. I know, Fedora 15 is still in beta. Let's try some older, stable,
> version instead. Let's try to install on Fedora 13. First, try to build
> ROS according to bullet 2 above so that we get the rosmake command needed
> in bullet 1.
>
> On fedora 13 rosinstall do build without errors, so we can then follow
> instructions according to bullet 1 above. Everything works fine until the
> rosmake step:
>
> $ rosmake orocos_toolchain_ros
> [ rosmake ] Packages requested are: ['orocos_toolchain_ros']
> [ rosmake ] Logging to
> directory/home/andersn/.ros/rosmake/rosmake_output-20110511-125311
> [ rosmake ] Expanded args ['orocos_toolchain_ros'] to:
> []
> [ rosmake ] WARNING: The following args could not be parsed as stacks or
> packages: ['orocos_toolchain_ros']
> [ rosmake ] ERROR: No arguments could be parsed into valid package or stack
> names.

You're almost there. You need to put the orocos_toolchain_ros in your ros
package path. for example:

cd orocos_toolchain_ros
export ROS_PACKAGE_PATH=$ROS_PACKAGE_PATH:$(pwd)

Most people have a $HOME/ros directory and put that directory in the path
above and build all ros related software inthere.

Then try rosmake again.

> And there I'm stuck.
>
> regards,
> Anders Nilsson