[ros-users] Turtlebot stack on Roomba (need help)

Gonçalo Cabrita goncabrita at gmail.com
Sun May 15 20:48:33 UTC 2011

Hi Jan,

Here at the lab we also use Roombas instead of Creates. I have browsed the turtlebot stack but I haven't tried it with the Roombas yet. We also got a couple of Kinects last week but I haven't had the time to go around and plug them to the Roombas.

My first shot in the dark would be the fact that some of the stuff in the navigation stack requires a laser scan to work properly, so in order to use the kinect you need to also use a very cool node that comes with the turtlebot stack that grabs de point cloud from the kinect and publishes a laser scan. There are some launch files that show exactly how to do that.

I wrote the roomba_500_series and I used the standard names in ROS, in that regard it should be pretty similar to using the turtlebot create driver. If there are some differences you can always do some remapping on the topics or change some frame_ids. However keep in mind that the turtlebot will fuse data from the encoder odometry with data from a gyro by means of a kalman filter, and I'm guessing you don't have a gyro on your Roomba, so another thing to keep in mind when using the turtlebot launch files.

I will try to run the turtlebot stack on a Roomba with the Kinect tomorrow to see if I can get it to work. In the meanwhile send me the launch files you modified for your setup.

Gonçalo Cabrita
ISR University of Coimbra
Portugal