[ros-users] remote control (kbd / joystick / etc.) (brice rebsamen)

Ken Conley kwc at willowgarage.com
Thu May 26 16:31:58 UTC 2011

If someone was willing to coordinate/maintain a "teleop_mobile" stack,
we would happily accept/anoint it.  As Brian notes, the difficulty is
in ensuring that such a 'general' teleoperation package generically
controls a variety of robots.  We would not be able to do such a stack
ourselves (at least for Electric) as our post-ICRA todo list is a bit
too much right now.

It sounds like there are (at least) two good starting points for
packages to include.  For keyboard, the stack that Chad mentions:

http://www.ros.org/wiki/teleop_twist_keyboard

And for joystick, we have our teleoperation package we use with the TurtleBot:

http://www.ros.org/wiki/turtlebot_teleop

The joystick case is a bit more difficult as you also have to
parameterize a bit on the joystick.

Our expectation for a maintainer would be to coordinate the community
to get good documentation in place, and also coordinate with the
community to test across multiple robot bases.

 - Ken