[ros-users] remote control (kbd / joystick / etc.) (brice rebsamen)

Jenkins, Odest Chadwicke odest_jenkins at brown.edu
Thu May 26 19:41:17 UTC 2011

Hi Ken,

I think you make a very good point about developing a teleop_mobile
stack.  That would certainly be a welcomed contribution.  I also agree
that asking Willow to take this on is not the best use of time and
effort.

A larger point I am making is that we are starting to see more
reinvention and refragmentation among the efforts of the ROS
community.  I would attribute this circumstance to the lack of a
global picture of ROS that people (new and established) in ROS can
understand.  We often have to climb up the learning curve by scouring
the more detail-oriented content of the wiki and various repositories.
 This could be a dealbreaker for many types of people we would like to
bring into the ROS community: app-level developers, people who design
systems with usability and value in mind, etc.

I think the answer to Brice's question (and similar questions) should
be more obvious.  By an order of magnitude, ROS has been a great
contribution to robotics, as an applications-layer protocol, message
structure, and development environment.  However, ROS is still very
far from enabling robots to provide value for real users and app
developers.  More guidance from the ROS leadership as well as
discussion with the current ROS community would help in broadening the
ROS community in the future.

(Brice, apologies for the threadjacking)

-Chad