[ros-users] Throwing exceptions in services (Python vs. C++)

Dirk Thomas mail at dirk-thomas.net
Tue Nov 8 16:13:13 UTC 2011

Hi,

we are using ROS services implemented in Python as well as in C++.
We found one significant difference in both implementations (which makes debugging more difficult):
This is when a service throws an exception.

In both languages a message is printed on the server's console.
In Python the string of the exception is also passed to the client.
But in C++ the exception is NOT passed to the client.

Is there a technical reason why the C++-ServiceCallback does not pass the exception message?
If not could this be added?

Regards,
Dirk