[ros-users] Running ROS nodes without ROS

Martin Günther mguenthe at uos.de
Sat Oct 22 10:50:36 UTC 2011

On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 15:57:49 -0400
Tyler Stigliano <tstigliano at knights.ucf.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am currently working on
> a project where I would like to take a ROS node , in particular the
> Laser Pipeline node, and integrate it into our current source code
> maintained by Visual Studios on Windows 7. Our goal is to create a 3D
> composite map from data read in from a laser to help our  MANUS
> Assistive Robotic Manipulator (ARM) navigate better. The solution we
> came up with is to mount a Hokuyo Laser onto our MANUS ARM. Over the
> past couple weeks I have began to familiarize my self with how the
> laser_pipeline node works on Ubuntu and have successfully read in
> data from the laser and turned it into a  3D composite map. Now that
> the beginning phase of this process is over a few questions have come
> up. Is it possible to run ROS nodes without roscore? I understand
> that roscore acts as a communicator between all of the nodes. How I
> see it now is that roscore acts as a bridge between the
> implementation of the nodes, i.e. the laser reads in data, roscore
> takes the data to the filter, the data is filtered, roscore takes the
> data to the assembler, and finally the data is assembled into a map.
> How could we successfully implement these actions outside a ROS
> environment if in fact this is what is happening?
>
> Thank you for your time,
>
> Tyler.

Hello Tyler,

this question would better be asked on http://answers.ros.org.

Just quickly: You didn't get the concept of roscore quite right, see:
http://www.ros.org/wiki/ROS/Concepts

Roscore just acts as a name lookup server, then the nodes exchange
their data directly.

Regarding running the laser pipeline without ROS: Either you try to
eliminate every reference to ROS from the source code, replacing it by
your own custom code, or you try running ROS on Windows (although I
have no experience with that):

http://www.ros.org/wiki/electric/Installation/Windows

Best wishes,
Martin