[ros-users] rosinstall with git

Martin Günther mguenthe at uos.de
Sun Oct 30 10:32:39 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 00:49:24 +0200
Thibault Kruse <kruset at in.tum.de> wrote:
> 2. It could create tracking branches with the name of the remote
> branch and try to stay on them when moving up or downstream with
> rosinstall

> 3. It could create tracking branches that can only move
> forward with their remote branch

If I understood you correctly, you are talking about the case where the
remote branch has been reset to an earlier commit, right?

I don't think that rosinstall needs to take this into account, because
one should push these kinds of history-losing changes to a public
branch. This is expected to break everyone else's history.

I tend to agree to option 4 (fast-forward if possible, warn user
otherwise). This way, "users" of the repo (who never change their
local copy) will always update without problems, and "developers" can
be sure that their local changes are not lost.

Thanks for improving Git support in rosinstall!

Cheers,
Martin

--
Dipl.-Inf. Martin Günther