[ros-users] ROS-to-X Bridge SIG?

Jenkins, Odest Chadwicke odest_jenkins at brown.edu
Tue Sep 13 15:26:22 UTC 2011

The "elephant in the room" wrt to the current SIGs is bridging
ROS-to-X, where X is most often some custom codebase already in use by
some lab.  From informal interactions, I hear that many groups use ROS
as a service with some custom ad hoc network-based bridge for
connecting to their codebase.  There are also bridges for ROS-to-ROS
(multi-master, foreign relay), ROS-to-web (rosjs), ROS-to-Arduino
(rosserial), ROS-to-Matlab (ipc-bridge), and many many others (just
google "ros ipc").

This fragmentation on top of ROS is and will be a major problem,
especially for people who want to build on the contributions of the
greater ROS community (not just the chosen first-class client
libraries).  Such fragmentation limits interoperability and furthers
reinvention (as everyone designs their own custom protocol), and
confuses potential applications developers looking for a consistent
interface to ROS.

Thus, I would propose a "ROS-to-X Bridging" SIG if there are several
others who voice an interest, and express a willingness to coordinate
the SIG.

-Chad