[ros-users] NXT and Gazebo

Tully Foote tfoote at willowgarage.com
Sun Sep 25 23:04:16 UTC 2011

Hi Miguel,

We haven't had time to get the NXT simulations setup in gazebo simulations.

What needs to be done is models loaded for each of the parts you plan to
simulate, many are done already for the URDF visualization.  And then all
the motors, and sensors need plugins written for them so that gazebo can
simulate them correctly.  Once that is there, it's just a matter of
composing the URDF which describes your NXT robot.  An example plugin is the
create plugin in the turtlebot_gazebo_plugins package you can browse the
code at
https://kforge.ros.org/turtlebot/simulator/file/d76b1532b281/turtlebot_gazebo_plugins

Tully

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 7:45 AM, Miguel G. <capelare at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi again!
>
> I am truly interested on developing this, but I really need some guidance
> to start.
> I wrote an email to Nate Koenig, who offered his help in this thread<http://answers.ros.org/question/1071/is-there-already-a-lego-mindstorms-nxt-simulation>,
> but I've had no answer :(
>
> Best regards,
> Miguel.
>

> On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 17:08, Miguel G. <capelare at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Great, I was wondering why my mails didn't show up in the developers mail
>> list and now I see they appear triplicated over here.
>> Sorry about that :(
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 17:05, Miguel G. <capelare at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, I'm new around here and I'm not sure if this is the right place for
>>> this thread, correct me if I'm wrong, please :)
>>>
>>> I'm beginning to work on the final project of my Computer Engineering
>>> studies, a simulator for the Lego NXT robot, and I discovered ROS recently,
>>> so I thought that I could use ROS/Gazebo, due in part to the lack of this
>>> feature in the NXT support.
>>>
>>> The thing is I'm not sure what should I do or where to begin (I'm getting
>>> used to ROS these days, but I learn fast), so I could use a little guidance
>>> if you would.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> Miguel.

Tully Foote