[ros-users] Large Messages generate segmentation fault

Sebastian Schneider s.schneider at unibw.de
Thu Sep 15 10:54:05 UTC 2011

Hello,

I'm currently measuring the performance of ROS. Therefore I generated a
test-message with the following variable:

uint8[10000000] var0

Now when I send this message via P/S the subscribing node crashes due to
a segmentation fault:

boost::detail::shared_count::shared_count<eval::TestMessage_<std::allocator<void>
>*, boost::detail::sp_ms_deleter<eval::TestMessage_<std::allocator<void>
> > > (
    this=0x7fffffffc888, p=0x0) at
/usr/include/boost/smart_ptr/detail/shared_count.hpp:160
160	            pi_ = new sp_counted_impl_pd< P, D >( p );

If I make the array only 1000000 bytes large, everything works. If I
make it even bigger, I get the same segmentation fault.

Any ideas?

Sebastian