[ros-users] Include directories on OSX (Homebrew)

William Woodall wjwwood at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 23:48:28 UTC 2011

I agree that boost should be found via cmake or pkgconfig rather than a
special ROS tool.  For now I have instructed the users of my ros-osx branch
to add this to their bashrc:

export CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH="/usr/local/include:$CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH"

The problem is odd because when you use
isysroot=/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.7.sdk or similar you are chaining where
the compiler looks for headers and libraries by default (/).  To mitigate
this there is a symlink from /usr/local/lib to
/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.7.sdk/usr/local/lib, but what gets me is that there
is no corresponding link to /usr/local/include...  Maybe someone with more
OS X development experience could explain that.

I think my solution is fine for now, but won't be necessary if every package
found the header path for each of it's deps automatically, i.e. there is no
good reason, other than convenience, for having /usr/local/include in the
include paths by default.

For example, I added the tinyxml ROS package as a rosdep in two packages
that used tinyxml because they couldn't find the headers or libraries
located in /usr/local otherwise (tinyxml has no Findtinyxml.cmake or
similar).  (The tinyxml ROS pkg just contains the tinyxml header and has
appropriate exports in the manifest.xml).

--

William Woodall
w at auburn.edu
wjwwood at gmail.com