[ros-users] rViz on OS X 10.7 Lion using Homebrew

William Woodall wjwwood at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 00:08:31 UTC 2011

Update time!

All the patches needed for getting rviz working are on my github now.  Trac
tickets incoming.  Also, the instructions have been updated, so take note of
the changes.

https://github.com/wjwwood/ros-osx/tree/master/electric-lion-homebrew

Neat stuff:

   - You no longer need to build wxWidgets! (it comes with wxPython binary)
   - wxPropgrid is built into wxWidgets-2.9.x (a lot of fixes for rViz
   related to this)
   - You no longer have to "patch" Homebrew with my fork
   - PCL builds and runs (with a caveat, see below)
   - Everything builds, excluding the simulators and navigation stuff
   (mostly due to netpbm not building atm)

List of stacks known to build:

* assimp
* bond_core
* bullet
* common_msgs
* common_rosdeps
* common_tutorials
* diagnostics
* diagnostics_monitors
* driver_common
* eigen
* executive_smach
* executive\_smach_visualization
* filters
* geometry
* geometry_experimental
* image_common
* image_pipeline
* image\_transport_plugins
* laser_pipeline
* nodelet_core
* orocos\_kinematics_dynamics
* robot_model
* perception_pcl
    * This requires a patch that breaks the pcd_viewer's ability to take
keyboard presses, so this is arguably not working, but I am going to take a
stab this later.
* pluginlib
* ros
* ros_comm
* ros_tutorials
* vision_opencv
* xacro

Packages known not to work (and why):

* navigation
    * rosdep's failed to install: the netpbm build fails
* physics_ode
    * opende fails with:

    Please make sure that you use automake 1.10 or later
>     Warnings about underquoted definitions are harmless
>     Running aclocal
>     /usr/bin/gm4:configure.in:373: bad expression in eval (bad input): 30
> > libccd@:>@
>     autom4te: /usr/bin/gm4 failed with exit status: 1
>     aclocal: /usr/bin/autom4te failed with exit status: 1
>     make[1]: *** [installed] Error 1

* simulator_gazebo
    * opende fails
* simulator_stage
    * stage fails
* slam_gmapping
    * netpbm
* stage
    * stage fails with:

    patch -d build/Stage-3.2.2-Source -p0 < Stage-3.2.2-Source.patch;
>     patch: **** rejecting file name with ".." component:
> ../Stage-3.2.2-Source/libstage/CMakeLists.txt
>     make[1]: *** [build/Stage-3.2.2-Source/unpacked] Error 2

Thanks for your time!

William Woodall
Graduate Software Engineering
Auburn University