[ros-users] multi-master support for Fuerte

Jeff Rousseau <jrousseau@aptima.com> JRousseau at aptima.com
Thu Sep 8 18:41:04 UTC 2011

We should think carefully about what level in the system, either node or master, where "service discovery" takes place.  To me the logical place is at the master since everything in ROS is neatly namespaced and nodes generally do not operate in a vacuum, but rather work together to provide a set of common interfaces through named topics & services.

Putting discovery in the node places the burden on that node to export all the data from the necessary topics/services to accomplish a useful task.  It seems more natural to extend the ability of the master to configure what set of topics/services it wants to expose to other masters and they in turn have the ability to choose what topics/services to connect to.

I'm probably misunderstanding what you meant by your above bullet point--I'm just thinking in the context of multi-robot services.

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.