[ros-users] multi-master support for Fuerte

Daniel Stonier d.stonier at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 00:11:09 UTC 2011

On 9 September 2011 03:41, Jeff Rousseau <jrousseau at aptima.com> <
JRousseau at aptima.com> wrote:

> [...]

I think there's an ambiguity in terminology that I used that probably made
the above statement confusing so I'll talk about adding/discovering zeroconf
services and handling ros communications (topics/services/actions).

The above idea was strictly talking about adding/discovering zeroconf
services with no relation to ros communications. I wanted a set of c++
libraries and ros nodes (one for each platform), with similar api that could
be used to administer zeroconf services in a general way. It might be
simpler just to think of it as a building block that could easily be
incorporated wherever you wish. Fusing it with the notion of multimaster
somewhat complicates the issue needlessly. But to expound a little,

1) Disregarding multimaster, it is feasible that some ros programs may want
to discover or add non-ros zeroconf services on the domain. They may need
access to an apple air tv, or a robot may have some bizarre wish to
advertise itself as a member of a chat group on a lan (these often have
zeroconf capabilities). You might want to just open a socket port for a
custom (non-ros) job that another program can utilise and advertising that
as a zeroconf service makes sense too. I haven't actually done anything
along these lines yet - but I don't want others to have to rework through
the complicated platform specific zeroconf libraries when a standardised ros
library/node can get them up and running very quickly.

2) Ken's style app manager-multimaster - it is a gateway that exposes ros
communications via non zeroconf mechanisms. However, the app manager and ros
masters still needs to be auto-discovered to be conveniently useful. It also
adds only a single zeroconf service to the domain for a robot and lets that
service handle the detail. I don't know whether polluting the zeroconf
namespace with *alot* of services is an issue, but if it is, providing a
gateway like this can be of assistance. It is also an approach we can really
start utilising short term.

3) A multimaster approach using zeroconf to expose the ros communications
themselves. More swam style and actually 'masterless' describes it better.
Troy Straszheim was talking to me about this a couple of weeks ago and is
interested in playing around with a new roscpp that could do this. I like
this approach for certain solutions as well - though I think there are alot
of design implications to worry about along the way. It's also a fair way
off yet. It'll still need a basic api for zeroconf though, whether an
existing avahi embedded, jmdns or custom lightweight mdns implementation, a
simple library implementation can go into a zeroconf stack quite nicely.

Cheers,
Daniel.