[ros-users] tcpros on ethernet-enabled embedded devices

James Bowman jamesb at willowgarage.com
Fri Sep 23 17:39:41 UTC 2011

Yes, I wrote rosduino as as an experiment.  It's a minimal stand-alone
TCPROS client, and while it does actually join ROS and send/receive messages
completely standalone, the thing is a bit of a stretch for the Arduino's
meager resources.  The other packages mentioned above are a better solution,
if the embedded device has a serial interface.

That said, it might be interesting to revisit rosduino, targeting more
capable MCUs.  Perhaps ARM with lwip?  Mike, what network stack are you
running on the M3?

J.

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 8:32 AM, Trevor Jay <tjay at cs.brown.edu> wrote:

> Obviously I'm a bit biased, but if your embedded platform supports
> sockets or serial I second the idea of building off of a bridge (e.g.
> rosbridge, http://www.ros.org/wiki/rosbridge or rosserial,
> http://www.ros.org/wiki/rosserial ) instead of trying to get a full
> ROS-compatible message stack on the embedded platform itself.
>
> Many have reported success using rosserial with arduino and I've had
> good results with using rosbridge from both Aurduinos and PICAxes
> (after building a serial->socket client). If you're using a Ethernet
> shield, there won't even be the need for the serial adapter.
>
> _Trevor

J.