[ros-users] tcpros on ethernet-enabled embedded devices

Mike Purvis mpurvis at clearpathrobotics.com
Fri Sep 23 17:52:41 UTC 2011

> Obviously I'm a bit biased, but if your embedded platform supports
> sockets or serial I second the idea of building off of a bridge (e.g.
> rosbridge, http://www.ros.org/wiki/rosbridge or rosserial,
> http://www.ros.org/wiki/rosserial ) instead of trying to get a full
> ROS-compatible message stack on the embedded platform itself.

If we're not able to do the full stack, my preference would definitely be
toward rosbridge over rosserial. Our comms on this vehicle are ethernet and
CAN; I'd prefer to avoid introducing a serial connection.

> That said, it might be interesting to revisit rosduino, targeting more
> capable MCUs.  Perhaps ARM with lwip?  Mike, what network stack are you
> running on the M3?

TI provides example code for both lwip and uip, both of which run no
problem.

How much of what exists in roscpp would be usable? Or would we be building
it up mostly from scratch? I know the protocol is stable at this point, but
I have concerns about the long-term maintenance cost of building up and
supporting a brand new client.

Mike