[ros-users] ROS Fuerte Beta 1 Now Available

Ken Conley kwc at willowgarage.com
Wed Apr 4 21:06:45 UTC 2012

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 2:02 PM, Traveler Hauptman
<traveler.hauptman at iit.it> wrote:
> Just to double check...
>
> After tweaking things in the rosdep *.yaml files I was able to do:
>
> rosdep check -a
>
> and get a perfect result.... all dependencies satisfied, etc....
>
> However, when I subsequently ran:
>
> rosmake -a
>
> Some packages failed to build because of the rospack error in the quotes
> below (xxx depends on non-existant package pcl).
>
> To me it seems like rospack is *not* using the same dependency mechanism
> as rosdep...
>
> so how do I get rospack to recognize that a package is installed? For
> instance, does the pcl_ros package need to be installed in
> /opt/ros/fuerte or ... ???

Per my previous comments, ROS uses a different PCL.  This different
PCL contains a manifest.xml file which is what rospack is looking for.

And yes, rosdep/rospack have very different dependency mechanisms.
rosdep manages a variety of OS-specific package managers, which is
what its dependencies are keyed against.  rospack only tests for ROS
package dependencies, i.e. things that have manifest.xml files.

 - Ken