[ros-users] Announcing usc-clmc-ros-pkg

Tully Foote tfoote at willowgarage.com
Thu Apr 5 00:04:16 UTC 2012

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 3:06 PM, Mrinal Kalakrishnan <kalakris at usc.edu>wrote:

> Hi Tully,
>
> On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 2:21 PM, Tully Foote <tfoote at willowgarage.com>
> wrote:
> > I'm not sure I understand the difference between the two repositories.
>  If
> > you have multiple repositories you can send me a url to a publicly
> > accessable rosinstall file which I can add to the index.  Or I can just
> add
> > the single url.  For now I'll add the github url since that's where
> you're
> > developing.
>
> I was under the impression that when using git, rosinstall requires
> one stack per git repository, and that hg didn't have this limitation.
> Since it's currently easier for us to manage all our stacks in a
> single repo, we figured it'd be best to provide an hg mirror so that
> each stack is individually rosinstall-able (I'm not even sure that
> this works though).

For indexing it's not a problem.  However when you want to start releasing
hg and git both have the same problem, as with all the distributed version
control systems, in that branching and tagging is done across the whole
repository.  Thus you can't really tag just one subpart of a repo as a
release and checkout just that part.  There are some tricks you can play by
having disconnected/orphaned branches but to get N stacks from a repo you
need to checkout N times if you do that, and you don't get any of the value
of being in one repo so it's not worth it.

So as you think about releasing you will want to think about breaking the
repo into the units of release.

> > Also if we have duplication between the wg repos and your repos which are
> > actively developed.  Let us know and we can take down the old copies.
>
> The duplicates are in old directories that are probably not even
> relevant any more, eg:
>
> https://code.ros.org/svn/wg-ros-pkg/branches/trunk_cturtle/stacks/policy_learning/
> . But what we'd like is for the wiki page for each package/stack to
> point to the new repository. I don't know how you handle such package
> duplication in the indexing process.

Yes, those have been deindexed so they shouldn't conflict.

Tully

> Thanks,
> Mrinal

Tully Foote