[ros-users] RFC: rviz on Android

Jenkins, Odest Chadwicke odest_jenkins at brown.edu
Wed Apr 25 15:50:52 UTC 2012

Very cool, Jeff!  Big ups.

Point clouds can be used effectively over rosbridge and the public
internet.  For example, the following video shows a PR2 in Palo Alto
teleoperated by a user in Atlanta through a browser interface with
Kinect RGBD data, two camera views, tfs, interactive markers, and
more:

  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWG7em5cwWo

Admittedly, there were some special hacks needed to make this happen
(compression, recasting of topics, etcs.).  However, such hacks could
be generalized by rethinking ROS's pubsub mechanisms and topics to be
smarter about data.

-Chad

Message: 4