[ros-users] RFC: rviz on Android

Dariush Forouher forouher at iti.uni-luebeck.de
Thu Apr 26 10:19:21 UTC 2012

Hi Jeff,

Am 23.04.2012 20:55, schrieb Jeff Rousseau <jrousseau at aptima.com>:

> I think it really depends on what you want in your "android rviz"
>
> We (at Aptima) have built some nice HTML5 UIs that wrap nicely into Android and iOS devices for controlling multiple robots.  So if you're looking for a replacement for something like the old nav_view functionality, we've found that HTML5 gives you some nice portability/code-reuse benefits.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcATNhoJ3gg
>
> I think of rviz as a "visual debugger" as well as an extremely basic navigation interface.  We cared more about building a UI for controlling the nav stack (queing waypoints, etc) so our use case might not be exactly the same.

Good question. I guess my use case is primarily a "visual debugger",
i.e. showing costmaps, sensor data, transforms, point clouds etc. I find
it immensely useful in analyzing how sensor data is transformed and
processed by all the various nodes.

Issuing navigation goals is not really my focus. Your HTML5 UI looks
nice, though, and well suited the task.

Rviz for android is certainly not a "must have" tool, as the existing
rviz is already doing a splendid job IMO. It's just the geek inside me
would love play with something like it. :)

regards
Dariush
--
Institut für Technische Informatik / Universität zu Lübeck
http://www.iti.uni-luebeck.de/mitarbeiter/dariush-forouher-m-sc.html