[ros-users] ROS support for Ubuntu Precise

Tully Foote tfoote at willowgarage.com
Mon Apr 30 17:48:34 UTC 2012

Patrick,

Our goal is as soon as possible.  There's no way to predict exactly.  It
depends on what patches need to be applied.  For example there's a
significant change in gtest packaging which breaks our usage of gtest.
 Each bug like this sets us back significantly due to tracking it down and
then finding a fix and rebuilding all packages with the fix.

To track progress see the debbuild status page:
http://www.ros.org/debbuild/fuerte.html

Tully

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 9:07 AM, Patrick Beeson <beeson.p at gmail.com> wrote:

>  At first, all I wanted was a time frame for Fuerte on Precise, which is
> certainly an acceptable users list question.  But, now that this is turning
> out to be unanswered (still no one has given any indication on whether this
> will be days, weeks, or months), and the source install of Fuerte is broken
> on Precise (see
> http://answers.ros.org/question/32867/ros-for-ubuntu-precise-1204), I'll
> send all updates to answers.ros.org item 32867.
>

> On 04/30/2012 10:00 AM, Jonathan Bohren wrote:
>
> On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 10:44 AM, Patrick Beeson <beeson.p at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I now remember that I was running this and it was failing in the final
>> "rosmake -a" step in the instructions.  I don't remember what the problem
>> was.  But in any case, I wasn't thrilled that this forced the install of
>> LOTS of older packages (like Boost 1.46, g++-4.5, etc.).  In any case, I'll
>> try again and inform you as to where the actually install fails rather than
>> where it is not ideal.
>>
>> In any case, this never did answer my original question, which is when
>> will there be deb files in the pool that support a precise distribution?
>>

> Lorenz is right, this sounds less like a bug and more like something that
> can be dealt with best on http://answers.ros.org.
>
>  -j
>
>  --
> Jonathan Bohren
> PhD Student
> Dynamical Systems and Control Laboratory
> Laboratory for Computational Sensing and Robotics
> The Johns Hopkins University
>
>  (707) 520-4736
> jbo at jhu.edu

Tully Foote