[ros-users] Announcing rviz_plugin_covariance

Thomas Moulard thomas.moulard at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 17:05:45 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 3:37 PM, Jack O'Quin <jack.oquin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 7:58 AM, Thomas Moulard <thomas.moulard at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello there,
>> I have written a small package called rviz_plugin_covariance.
>>
>> It is an rviz plug-in (using the new ROS Fuerte C++ API) displaying
>> geometry_msgs/PoseWithCovarianceStamped messages.
>>
>> It is based on this blog post [1] and on the rviz API tutorial.
>>
>> The package page on the wiki is here (not yet indexed):
>> http://www.ros.org/wiki/rviz_plugin_covariance
>>
>> It is available on GitHub at:
>> https://github.com/laas/rviz_plugin_covariance
>>
>> [1] http://geus.wordpress.com/2011/09/15/how-to-represent-a-3d-normal-function-with-ros-rviz/
>
> Thanks for providing that, Thomas. I am sure it will be very useful.
>
> Questions:
>
>  * Is there a way to handle Odometry messages?

It is easy to extend the plug-in to be able to display Odometry
messages, for the position covariance at least. Representing twist
covariance is more difficult.

>  * How could orientation covariance be displayed?

I am only considering the upper-left 3x3 block of the covariance
matrix currently.
I made a quick google search w/o finding any relevant paper, but it seems like
a "classical" issue so I would be suprised this has not already been solved...

--
Thomas Moulard
http://www.linkedin.com/in/moulard