[ros-users] Move ROS answers to StackExchange?

Jonathan Bohren jonathan.bohren at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 08:21:25 UTC 2012

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 3:38 AM, Marcus Liebhardt <
marcus.liebhardt at yujinrobot.com> wrote:

> The recent notification about a robotics Q&A site on StackExchange made me
> remember an old question on ROS answers:
> http://answers.ros.org/question/12386/is-ros-answer-able-to-join-stackexchange/
>
> It raises the question about the possibility of moving ROS Answers
> to StackExchange, but unfortunately it didn't get many answers. It is
> mentioned, that "our" site is not compatible with StackExchange and that
> some people are not happy with how things are handled over at StackExchange
> (e.g. user control).
>
> I'm still curious why we actually created our own Q&A site and/or why we
> don't move our site over to StackExchange.
> I see the following benefits in case of migrating:
> * less(no) maintenance work

* ROS gets more visible (and thereby attracting more users)
> * convenient for people already using other StackExchange sites, such as
> StackOverflow
>
> If this has already been discussed in the past, please point me to the
> respective information (and/or write a corresponding answer on ROS
> answers). Thank you!

I think having a site that's ROS-specific decreases the noise, and helps
the community support itself more efficiently. I don't think it would be a
good idea to try to merge ROS answers with another support site, especially
one as generic as "robotics".

-j