[ros-users] Capability of ARM dev board for ROS host

Damon Kohler damonkohler at google.com
Fri Jan 13 08:43:17 UTC 2012

I haven't done exactly as you described, but I can say that I easily
ran into trouble with a dual core laptop by simply using move_base and
gmapping with laser scanners.

Most of the problems, I believe, come from not being able to process
incoming data quickly enough to make good movement decisions. Your
robot may have to move very slowly to get this to work. Or, you'll
have to use more performant/efficient/limited implementations of
mapping and navigation.

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 9:38 AM, Kent Williams <k3nt00 at gmail.com> wrote:
> It is our hope to make the robot a standalone unit, and therefore not
> require any off board infrastructure. I know this is quite a vague question,
> I'm really just looking to see if anyone has hit the wall big time with the
> capabilities of these boards or if there is hope for leaning them down
> enough and slowing down the update frequencies to get by.  I have been
> considering to attempt to use a decent android phone I have as the image
>  sensor and processing resource node using rosjava, since the vision
> requirements are low. Then possibly the beagleboard or pandaboard would be
> sufficient for hosting the rest.
>

> --
> Kent Williams
>
> k3nt00 at gmail.com
> (818)203-4394

Damon Kohler
Software Engineer

Google Germany GmbH
Dienerstr. 12
80331 München
AG Hamburg, HRB 86891
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg
Geschäftsführer: John Herlihy, Graham Law, Lloyd Martin, Kent Walker
Diese E-Mail ist vertraulich. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat
sind, leiten Sie diese bitte nicht weiter, informieren den Absender
und löschen Sie die E-Mail und alle Anhänge. Vielen Dank.

This email is confidential. If you are not the right addressee please
do not forward it, please inform the sender, and please erase this
e-mail including any attachments. Thanks.