[ros-users] FLIR GigE thermal camera driver

Ye Cheng cnhzcy14 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 14:52:22 UTC 2012

Hi guys,

I'm involved in a ROS-inside robot integration project recently. In this
project, we have to use a FLIR gige thermal camera to let the robot see the
thermal radiation of objectives. It is a GenICam compatible GigE camera,
and Pleora eBUS SDK is recommended for its Linux development, therefore I
found the gevicam_camera <http://www.ros.org/wiki/gevicam_camera> package,
the driver for GeViCAM stereo camera of the PR2 robot. Since eBUS can be
applied to all the GenICam compatible GigE camera, I thought this driver
can also be used by us for FLIR camera. Unfortunately this driver has some
specific features for GeViCAM. So I wrote a new simpler driver based on
examples of the latest eBUS and some useful ROS packages (image_transport,
cv_bridge, dynamic_reconfigure and so on). Here is a screen cast of running
the thermal camera with ROS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9hzr9iz8Go&feature=plcp

This driver also has some specific features for the FLIR camera, but could
be a generic GenICam compatible GigE camera ROS driver if removes the
dynamic_reconfigure server, and may be useful to some people. If so, I'd
like to contribute it. However I'm not sure if the Pleora eBUS license
allows me to do this?

Cheers,
Simon