[ros-users] FLIR GigE thermal camera driver

Tully Foote tfoote at willowgarage.com
Mon Jul 23 20:45:47 UTC 2012

Hi Simon,

It looks like you have gotten it working pretty well.  I'd suggest that you
release your version, as the one you found was an experimental driver for a
camera we didn't end up using, and hasn't been touched for years (it's from
the trunk_cturtle branch).

With respect to the dynamic reconfigure, I expect you can do a little extra
effort and make the dynamic reconfigure settings switch based on whether
it's a FLIR detected or just a generic camera.

With regards to the Pleora eBUS SDK, you will need to verify with them what
their licensing terms are.

Tully

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 7:52 AM, Ye Cheng <cnhzcy14 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I'm involved in a ROS-inside robot integration project recently. In this
> project, we have to use a FLIR gige thermal camera to let the robot see the
> thermal radiation of objectives. It is a GenICam compatible GigE camera,
> and Pleora eBUS SDK is recommended for its Linux development, therefore I
> found the gevicam_camera <http://www.ros.org/wiki/gevicam_camera>package, the driver for GeViCAM stereo camera of the PR2 robot. Since eBUS
> can be applied to all the GenICam compatible GigE camera, I thought this
> driver can also be used by us for FLIR camera. Unfortunately this driver
> has some specific features for GeViCAM. So I wrote a new simpler driver
> based on examples of the latest eBUS and some useful ROS packages
> (image_transport, cv_bridge, dynamic_reconfigure and so on). Here is a
> screen cast of running the thermal camera with ROS:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9hzr9iz8Go&feature=plcp
>
> This driver also has some specific features for the FLIR camera, but could
> be a generic GenICam compatible GigE camera ROS driver if removes the
> dynamic_reconfigure server, and may be useful to some people. If so, I'd
> like to contribute it. However I'm not sure if the Pleora eBUS license
> allows me to do this?
>
> Cheers,
> Simon

Tully Foote