[ros-users] Uservoice-like Suggestions Page

Michael Carroll carroll.michael at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 13:39:26 UTC 2012

-1

I feel like we have a lot of mechanisms for feature requests already, as I
stated in my answer (
http://answers.ros.org/question/39224/can-we-use-this-system-for-feature-requests/
).

I also don't know how I feel about the actual uservoice service, as it's
fairly "cheap" to add feature requests.  I think that it would get flooded
with requests, but I'm not sure that any would actually be filled.  I think
that Trac and the planning SIGs are more engaging, as everybody has more
buy-in to the idea at hand.

Additionally, I think that answers.ros.org is too cluttered already, and
adding feature requests would make it unusable.

~mc

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 6:21 AM, Armin Hornung <
HornungA at informatik.uni-freiburg.de> wrote:

> On 2012-07-19 08:34, Jochen Sprickerhof wrote:
>
>> * Mac Mason <mac at cs.duke.edu> [2012-07-18 23:26]:

>>> +1
>>>
>> -0 (I don't like having information cluttered along a lot of different
>> sites because I tend to forget checking them for updates, let alone
>> answering posts on them. Having one unified solution where you can
>> connect to in multiple ways (like mail or rss) would be great.)
>>

> I tend to agree with Jochen. I've always seen Uservoice as a solution for
> projects that don't have their own issue and feature request trackers
> running. As most stack maintainers already use trac or something similar
> for this purpose, it will create duplicate issues and work to check yet
> another site. It's already hard to keep up with bug reports being posted on
> ROS answers instead of proper tickets (mainly due to email notifications
> not working properly).
>
> If the feature request can't be assigned to a single package or stack, I
> think that the mailing list would be fine to discuss these general requests.
>

> Best,
> Armin
>
> --
> Armin Hornung
> Humanoid Robots Lab, Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg
> Contact: http://www.informatik.uni-**freiburg.de/~hornunga<http://www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/%7Ehornunga>

Michael Carroll
http://mjcarroll.net | carroll.michael at gmail.com | 513.407.1337