[ros-users] Groovy specs on REP 003

Armin Hornung HornungA at informatik.uni-freiburg.de
Thu Jul 26 22:51:23 UTC 2012

On 25.07.2012 03:51, Vincent Rabaud wrote:
> As mentioned here:
> https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/ros-sig-target-platforms/moqACDUnIp0
> <https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#%21topic/ros-sig-target-platforms/moqACDUnIp0>
>
> we need to update the specs for Groovy for REP003:
> - attempted release date October 15th
> - supported Ubuntu releases: Precise and Quantal

I find it troublesome to drop Oneiric support already now. Its
end-of-life is in April 2013, and not everyone can update to the latest
version (currently 12.04) immediately. This will be a particular burden
for stack maintainers and developers who should start with Groovy
releases soon. Robots and their base stations also require more testing
and integration of other libraries and can't afford updating Ubuntu
every 6 months.

Having support for three Ubuntu versions should be possible imo, and
with the core stacks migrating to catkin it should also be less load for
the build server.

Is there any particular feature that's required in Boost 1.48, or would
1.46 from Oneiric be sufficient?

Best,
Armin

--
Armin Hornung
Humanoid Robots Lab, Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg