[ros-users] Announcing the Lightning ROS Package for Path Planning

Dmitry Berenson berenson at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 01:55:06 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,

We're happy to announce a new package that uses a robot's previous
experience to plan paths faster than planning-from-scratch alone.

The package is called LightningROS, and it is an implementation of the
Lightning Path Planning Framework described in this paper:

A Robot Path Planning Framework that Learns from Experience
Dmitry Berenson, Pieter Abbeel, and Ken Goldberg
IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), May, 2012.
http://automation.berkeley.edu/~berenson/lightning.pdf

This package uses OMPL planners to implement each component in
lightning and can be called the same way as any other OMPL planner.

The package website is here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/lightningros/ .

The wiki describing installation, examples, etc. is here:
https://sourceforge.net/p/lightningros/wiki/Home/

Please join our users list (click the Mailing Lists tab on the
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lightningros/ page) to post
questions/comments, we'd love to hear your feedback!

The code was developed at UC Berkeley by Cameron Lee and Dmitry
Berenson under the supervision of Prof. Pieter Abbeel and Prof. Ken
Goldberg.

Dmitry Berenson
Cameron Lee