[ros-users] ros industrial - who is using ros

Edwards, Shaun M. sedwards at swri.org
Sun Mar 18 19:30:39 UTC 2012

Raz,

I feel your pain.  Industrial automation and robotics vendor/users loathe change.  Change and "research" has not always gone well and so I understand why they hesitate.  That being said I am excited by what we have been able to accomplish with ROS-Industrial.  We are making inroads with both the vendors and the end users.  I have been in this industry for 7 years (long enough to know something, but not long enough to be stuck in my ways) and I have never seen such openness to new technology and cooperation.  It really feels like we might be at a tipping point.

As far as names, I'm afraid I cannot say.  Since much of this work is in development, companies want to maintain a competitive advantage.  I imagine once systems are deployed you will start to hear about systems that are "Powered by ROS" or have "ROS Inside" (whichever phrasing isn't trademarked already).

Shaun Edwards
Senior Research Engineer
Manufacturing System Department

http://robotics.swri.org