[ros-users] urdfpy - URDF parser in Python

Kelsey Hawkins kphawkins at gatech.edu
Mon Mar 19 19:06:25 UTC 2012

I agree that yours is probably the best bet for us to push forward with.
If you could formally release a version, I'd be happy to help add to it.

1) Should we split the interface and parser/writer?

I like the way you have kept them together, it's easier to read.

2) Which name should we unite under?

 The C++ equivalent to this package is named urdf_parser.  Realistically,
it would make sense if eventually we could integrate it into this official
package.  Until then, I think we should keep with a similar name.
urdf_parser_py might make sense but it doesn't really matter to me.  What
would be nice for me is if we could have a stack (like my
robot_model_python) in a repository we could all maintain where my KDL
parser and other similar packages could reside.

3) I think that we might want to merge into my package, but would be open
> to other suggestions. Does that sound good?

Sounds good to me.  It might also be nice to incorporate Thomas' string
pretty printing.  I'd also personally make a few changes to the URDF class
you have if you think they're reasonable.  First, make the *parse* and *load
* methods static so you can load the URDF object in one line.  Secondly,
make those two more intuitive by renaming them *parse_xml_string* and *
load_xml_file* or something similar.  Not making these changes isn't a
game-killer though.

-Kelsey