[ros-users] Draft REP rosinstall setup-file element

Thibault Kruse kruset at in.tum.de
Mon Mar 26 21:46:34 UTC 2012

I am all for a syntax overhaul, which I have expressed here:
http://code.ros.org/lurker/message/20120302.042603.684fdd91.fi.html

and it should also consider the roadmap of possible future
rosinstall/rosws features I sketched here:
http://www.ros.org/doc/api/rosinstall/html/rosws.html#roadmap

However designing a DSL involves a lot of usability work, which without
user studies comes down to personal experiences and taste. I am always
happy to discuss such changes, but I think the first decision should be
whether now is the time to discuss such changes at all or not.

REP126 is really just a hasty solution to support fuerte's new setup.sh
and be backwards compatible with earlier distros, also with respect to
user experience.

I have to admit that I am not quite convinced of whether this change to
rosinstall should be a REP at all, it seems more of an announcement of
what changes were deemed the most practicable solution to enable the
fuerte release, while people are busy working on more pressing matters.

(That apart from the fact that rosinstall is outscoped with REP0002, which
I have read just read now)